Monday, December 31, 2007

Secret Shopping For A Living- Sort Of by Paul Heingarten

Greetings from your friendly Prisoner of Work. I hope you've been exploring the many opportunities for making money on the internet. The only way to find that home business for you is to try, try and try again. Like the saying goes, "You have to kiss some frogs before you find that princess/prince."
The promise of being a Secret Shopper is considerable - you are assigned to go to a place of business and perform some kind of action. You may be asked to make a purchase, make an inquiry about a purchase, or simply observe conditions at the location. You then make a report about your findings and you are usually compensated in some way, like being reimbursed for your purchase or receiving a fee for your work. The compensation you receive is dependent on if the company accepts your work. You are required to follow specific directions in order for your report to be accepted.
I've registered for several secret shopper programs. I've performed shops at restaurants like Piccadilly Cafeteria and Papa John's and easy loan places so far. You may have read of people who are making a full time income doing secret shopping. I think those people must live in major metropolitan areas, as the offers for secret shopper jobs I've seen are not numerous enough to live on in my area. I've usually just been reimbursed for my purchases, with the occasional fee I received without having to spend anything.
Most secret shopper sites function the same way: register for free, then search for jobs you would like to perform and apply for those jobs. Keep in mind the following:
1) If you live in a smaller city or medium sized city, the jobs may not be very plentiful and the competition for them could be great. I found I needed to register several weeks in advance for some jobs, as they would be filled quickly.
2) If you sign up for a secret shopper service, many of the companies listed in the service may not still be in operation. I ran into this on several occasions.
3) Make sure you put in a detailed report, following all directions as given. I've never had a report rejected, but I imagine the secret shopper companies would be inclined to reject a report if the directions for completing and submitting are not followed.
Overall I think you can make some money from secret shopping. I don't think you could do this for a primary source of income, unless you live in a major city and don't mind spending a lot of time completing detailed (and sometimes lengthy) reports. The ratio of time spent working to the financial benefit is average, from my experience. I found the benefits of secret shopping for me to be largely getting some meals for free.
That's not bad - its just not the money machine I and you are looking for to break out of our work prison.
Until next time - keep up the search!
Paul



$$bio_HTML$$

Article Source: http://www.articlecube.com

No comments: